MathML May Meeting
This is a report about the Mozilla MathML May IRC Meeting (see the announcement here). The topics of the meeting can be found in this PAD (local copy of the PAD) and the IRC log (local copy of the IRC log) is also available.
In the last 5 weeks the MathML team closed 23 bugs, worked in others 6 and open 7 new ones (this are only the ones tracked by Bugzilla).
The next meeting will be in June 12th at #mathml IRC channel. Please add topics in the PAD.
Issue with Time Zone
We had a small issue with time zone. At this meeting pad we had the meeting schedule to 1pm UTC but Google Calendar doesn’t have this option and I used “(GMT+00:00) Londres” and unfortunately Google Calendar has Daylight Saving Time (DST) correction enabled what already make troubles for other users. For the next meeting I plan to use Iceland for the time zone to avoid DST.
The MathUI 2014 9th Workshop on Mathematical User Interfaces had the deadline for submissions extended to May 22nd 2014.
I and Frédéric will submit a paper very soon and will happy to have feedbacks based on our pre-print.
Others members of the team already submit their papers:
- Mathoid: Robust, Scalable, Fast and Accessible Math Rendering for Wikipedia by Moritz Schubotz and Gabriel Wicke
- Digital Repository of Mathematical Formulae by Howard S. Cohl, Marjorie A. McClain, Bonita V. Saunders, Moritz Schubotz and Janelle C. Williams
New version of LaTeXML
Version 0.8.0 of LaTeXML was released last week and is already available in many package manager systems. You can help testing it (especially on Windows).
MathJax Native MathML
MathJax Native MathML is a addon for Firefox wrote by Frédéric Wang that makes MathJax keep MathML. Frédéric updated the addon this month and you can help (a) testing and (b) translating a few strings.
Frédéric added to new functions to TeXZilla: toImage and toImageWebGL.
Jonathan Wei, Accessibility Team intern, gave a talk (available at Air Mozilla) about MathML Accessibility. For more technical details please view the wiki page Accessibility/MathML and the Bug 916419.
The biggest improve since last meeting was the support to OpenType MATH table in gecko 31. MurrayS3 explain OpenType MATH table at MSDN Blog:
“The OpenType math tables were designed to enable programs to reproduce the elegant math typography of TeX.”
Thanks, in alphabetic order, to Cameron McCormack, David Baron, Frédéric Wang, John Daggett, Jonathan Kew, Karl Tomlinson and Robert O’Callahan for the work to support OpenType MATH table.
Others contributions was:
- LaTeX-to-MathML in Thunderbird by Frédéric Wang;
- Implement menclose notation “phasorangle”: by Branko Krznaric, Aniket Deshpande and Anuj Agarwal;
- Add font autoinstallation support by Frédéric Wang;
- Others fixes/patch review/bug report by, in alphabetic order, Iwz, James Kitchener, Khaled Hosny, Ryan VanderMeulen and email@example.com.
If I forgot to give you the credits for your work please let me know and sorry about it.
Frédéric Wang updated MDN to cover all the improvements.
And Frédéric’s CSS fallback for MathML was merge at kuma.
GSoC start this Monday. More updates in the future.
FISL is one the bigger FOSS event in Brazil and happened last week. I gave a talk about MathML where I showed some of Frédéric’s demos. The attendees, most K-12 educators, love the demos and want tools that they can use to create similar content.
How to help - newcorners
Please add yourself to https://wiki.mozilla.org/MathML:Home_Page#The_Team.
- Test, use, write tutorials, report bugs, send patches, ... to LaTeXML.
- Test, use, report bugs, send patches (including translations), ... to MathJax Native MathML addon.
- Translate part of MathML documentation to your mother language. You can find more information in this documentation status page.
How to help
- The patch for MathML in Wikipedia by Moritz Schubotz still need some review (you will find some update at the begin of our meeting log). If you know PHP please take a look at https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/projects/mediawiki/extensions/Math,dashboards/default.
- Improve the documentation: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/MDN/Doc_status/MathML#Dev-doc-needed_bugs and https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/MDN/Doc_status/MathML#Documentation_requests